Careers and Internships
Learn about available internship and job opportunities that include hourly and annual positions.
Current Job Openings
Caring for Friends is continuously looking for experienced, talented individuals who are interested in joining our team. If you’d like to work in a caring and rewarding environment working with those who need food and friendship most, please apply to one of the available positions listed below.
Founded in 1974 on the belief that no one should be hungry or alone in a world full of caring people, Caring for Friends (CFF) is a volunteer organization and independent food bank serving Greater Philadelphia. CFF provides food and friendship to homebound seniors, veterans, and those with disabilities; provides food to people facing homelessness; and donates food to more than 250 community partners in unserved and underserved neighborhoods. in 2021, CFF rescued, sourced, and distributed more than 12 million pounds of food.
Our Caring Kitchen produces sandwiches and meals in high volumes in individual and family portions, which are frozen for distribution. Volunteers, many with minimal experience, are an important part of the process.
The Kitchen Manager is responsible for all kitchen functions, including meal planning, preparation, and storage; leadership and training of employees and volunteers; maintenance of existing equipment (function and cleanliness); maximizing the use of donated food; purchasing food and supplies; and updating or establishing standard operating procedures (SOPs) that enhance efficiency and safety.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Take a creative approach to using food on hand as well as organizing and inventorying
- Anticipate periods of high demand (i.e., holidays) and schedule food deliveries and personnel accordingly
- Develop recipes that meet relevant nutritional guidelines
- Develop strategy to increase weekly average output: goal is 100,000 meals per month
- Train and supervise employees and volunteers in proper methods, ensuring high output in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Ensure that volunteers feel welcome and have fun
- Ensure that all food is prepared according to approved recipes in keeping with portioning, cooking, and preserving standards
- Monitor cold storage to ensure food is kept at proper temperatures
- Schedule employee shifts as required by production needs and volunteer activity
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to maximize the contributions of volunteers
- Track consumption and production
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and in working condition through personal inspection and by following preventive maintenance programs
- Minimize food waste through proper storage and timely preparation
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong sense of urgency
- Minimum 5 years of varied kitchen experience
- ServSafe certified
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Outstanding communication skills, oral and written
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time
Daytime Monday – Friday with one or two evening shifts per week (alternating with other managers); one Saturday morning shift a month (8am-12pm)
12271 Townsend Road, Northeast Philadelphia
Compensation based on experience. Health and dental insurance, retirement plan available.Apply Now
Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans encouraged to apply.
We provides internship opportunities for those looking to gain experience in new and growing fields — reach out to inquire about current needs.
We rely on the help of the community to keep our facilities safe and attractive. Contact us if you have experience and can donate your time to help us with equipment repair, painting, gardening, or other skills.